Through Flygildi´s SILENT FLYER, we propose the unique ground-breaking silent, bio-form (birdlike) UAVs suitable for inspection/monitoring, real-time data collection, target engagement and aerial photography to be applied in a number of surveillance, wildlife and governmental sectors. With longer flight range and flight time, fully autonomous operation and the ability to operate in windy conditions we offer a valuable surveillance and reconnaissance tool for any user aiming to increase work efficiency, decrease workload and operational costs while improving accuracy and safety.
The novelty of the Silent Flyer lies in the design of the bird-like flapping wings and tail, which can be categorized as controllable flexible structures. The wings have four degrees of freedom, i.e. for flapping, tilting, morphing and moving back and forth. These motions are controlled in real-time. The wings are independently controlled and can also be folded to the body of the bird for easy transport. The tail has three degrees of freedom.
The SILENT FLYER has a wing span of 1.3m, combined with a foldable format which can be deployed quickly so that it fits in a small case (49x33x15cm). Additionally, SILENT FLYER has the following features (please see also the simulation video):
- SILENT FLYER can be customized to mimic different birds (by varying color, wing and feather shape/color) which will enable blending in with local avian species, thereby making visual detection difficult and reducing the environmental impact over autochthonous species.
- The power source is comprised of commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) Li-Poly batteries widely utilized and tested for several UAVs across the world, which use electric propulsion.
- Altitude capability of over 300m and a flying speed of 55km/h.
- It can be either programmed for autonomous functioning (using a software based on the open source QGroundControl that can be run on a computer, app on a mobile device) or used real-time by a remote-control stick and goggles (Fig 3).
- Payload capacity of 0.2kg, allowing installation of surveillance cameras in the beak.
- Wing motion during wing stroke can be set to any value within the limits of the 4 Degrees of Freedom (DOF) of the wings.
- Beak and neck operation: the head is controlled by servomotors and can be moved up, down and sideways. Beak can be opened and closed.
- Noise levels of operation at 2Hz flapping below 70dB measured in a 1m distance in open air.
- It can conserve energy quite like avian flight, whereby utilization of warm air currents, winds and weather conditions during soaring/gliding can add significant range and durability to the product.
- Flying times up to 30 minutes when flapping continuously. Flying time will be increased considerably when gliding or soaring, much like conserving energy like real birds in flight.
- Easy launch and landing capabilities.
- Unobtrusive appearance coupled with silent operation.
- On-board equipment: PC, Wi-Fi, compass, gyro, INS, GPS, solid state storage, camera.
 Bird’s secret to soaring super high, Inside Science, 201
 Analysis of VTOL UAV Propellant Technology, Scientific Research Open Access, 2017